Rules and Sign-Up

I hadn't intended on starting another challenge. Really! But, as I looked over my list of books that I wanted to read for the rest of 2008, I realized there were several that I had started lately (and in the past) but had never finished. So, why not make a challenge of it?

Why the name The Wind-Up Book Chronicle? Well, I looked up 'complete' in the thesaurus, and 'wind-up' was one of the synonyms, so I thought of the title as a play on the Murakami book title The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. I don't even know what that book is about, and I'm sure it's not about reading challenges, but I couldn't resist that title. Basically, the challenge is designed for us to wind-up the books we've begun but not completed.

After reading all that nonsense are you ready for the rules? Okay, here goes:

  1. To participate, you must use books that you've read more than 50 pages of BEFORE MAY 1 but never finished.
  2. The challenge will run from May 15 through November 15, 2008.
  3. Books can overlap with other challenges.
  4. Your list can be changed at any time, BUT you must use the 50 page rule to books read BEFORE May 1, 2008.
  5. I'd like to set a minimum of three books, but I'm going to allow even 1 or 2 because most of you probably don't have as many started as I do. (I'm going to go for 6 because I have that many and because the challenge lasts 6 months.)
  6. You must sign up for this challenge by June 1, 2008. Sign up using Mr. Linky below -- the Linky will be closed on June 1.
  7. Read your selections and feel great about finishing what you started!



17 Comments:

  1. Ann Kingman said...
    OK, I'm brand new to challenges -- this is my first. And I'd never heard of Mr. Linky until yesterday. Is this where I post my comment?? I'm so confused! :)
    Juliann in WA said...
    I listed my three books on my reading blog. Great idea.
    Brittanie said...
    Great Challenge. I have a few books that I have been meaning to finish but just haven't. I keep moving on once I put them down. This will hopefully help me finish some of them. :)
    Unknown said...
    What a fun idea. Thanks.
    Unknown said...
    Here is my review of Wind-Up Bird Chronicle which I really loved.

    http://readywhenyouarecb.blogspot.com/2007/07/wind-up-bird-chronicle-by-haruki.html
    Anonymous said...
    Since I finish only about half the books that I start, I could list hundreds. I try to choose 3 or 4.
    Unknown said...
    I belong to A LOT of book groups at Yahoo! and there are times when I am in a middle of a book for a particular group and then it is time to move onto the next month's book. I read books on various formats: regular books, e-books that I download from the Chicago Public Library, Project Gutenberg, etc. Now to remember which books from which groups! Judy
    Unknown said...
    I belong to A LOT of book groups over at Yahoo! and there has been many times where I will get a book late via interlibrary loan from my library and by the time I get the book for a particular group for one month, it is time to move on to the group's book for the next month. Now to remember which books! Judy
    Unknown said...
    I apologize for my multiple comments. I just started my blog today and I am new at it. I started it for the Yahoo! book group A Novel Challenge. You may delete this "post and the other "duplicate" posts I may have, just keep the first one. Thanks and sorry! :( Judy
    Anonymous said...
    My list:

    Lord of the Rings trilogy--Tolkien

    Raj quartet-Scott


    Cryptonomicon-Stephenson
    Kerry said...
    I try to avoid challenges (I get stressed about the size of my TBR as it is) but this one sounds like a good idea so I'm in.
    Petunia said...
    I succumbed to temptation and signed up. Thanks for helping me shed that quitter mentality.
    Unknown said...
    I have tons of half finished books. This is the inspiration I need to get through a few of them.
    Tammy said...
    This is a great idea. I've always got books that I've made some progress in but not finished. Maybe this will give me the extra push I need to finish a few.
    Anonymous said...
    This is the best idea for a challenge! I have many such books that need wound up. Thanks for hosting.
    Anonymous said...
    I really needed this challenge! I just get so excited about "the next book" that I tend to leave behind some wonderful reads.
    Unknown said...
    Are you going to carry this challenge into 2009?

    Judy/Intergalactic Bookworm

Post a Comment